Connect With Us To Stay In The Loop
ACSC released some handy house rules for cyber security to help keep families safe when surfing the web.
Every house hold owns approximately 17 internet-connected devices, from smart TVs to voice assistances, smart devices have made our lives easier and more comfortable for years.
However, this has opened many doors for cybercriminals to enter our homes.
Cyber Security at Home
Set strong and unique passwords for all your home devices and online accounts.
- When you buy a new device always change the factory-set passwords straight away (including networked devices such as a router/modem).
- Hot Tip: Always turn on second step of protection with MFA (multi-factor authentication).
Secure your devices and online accounts.
- Turn on automatic software updates to ensure your devices are covered with the latest security protection.
- Install antivirus software and backup your devices with a FBR (file backup recovery) system to protect important information, photos and data.
- Always download apps from an official app store such as Apple’s App Store or Google Play for Android and turn on automatic app updates for the latest security protection.
- Hot Tip: Consider disconnecting devices form internet when you aren’t using ‘smart’ features or if they don’t have security options such as the ability to set a password.
Search and socialise safely online.
- Choose what information you want to share carefully. Do privacy checks on your devices, browsers and social media apps through your settings to ensure you are only sharing what you want to share.
- Think about the information you share online such as birthdays, address, age, school or work as this can be used to uncover passwords or steal your identity.
- Never click on suspicious or unknown links in emails, SMS or social media messages as this is the best way for hackers to steal your sensitive information.
- Hot Tip: You can use nicknames and alternative profile pictures to help protect your identity when it comes to social media or gaming online.